FREEWARE SCRABBLE BY TIMWI – Runs on XP and Vista – no problems.
I am the author of the identical blog on bloglines, so if you find the same blog it’s still me but a duplicate.
I have spent an enormous amount of time to try and find a total freeware scrabble game for the PC. So the question was, “could a total freeware scrabble game really be out there”? Well I decided that there wasn’t one. Then one evening I was looking at a freeware list, and it listed that there was such a freeware game.
TIMWI’S SCRABBLE – BASIC INSTRUCTIONS
1. First of all using a web browser, go to the search box. I have used Firefox, Internet Explorer will do the same job.
2. Copy the http www address from the blog, http://www.lionking.org/~timwi/progs.htm and enter, you should then have Timwi’s home page as below.
3. Scroll down to view his software & stop at the Scrabble section, as below.
4. Choose the download in the language of your choice and download any of the extra language packs available. I have chosen Scrabble in English (world) as below.
5. Choose to save the package, I am choosing Desktop, however you can choose any drive and any folder you wish as long as you know where it is as below.
6. Go to the folder you chose and extract the contents to that same folder. If you don’t have an unzip tool, you can download and use J-zip from http://www.jzip.com/ which is freeware. You will then have Scrabble in the folder desired. This Scrabble by Timwi does not need installing as it plays directly from the folder. You can however choose to right click the letter Q by going to the folder named – scrabble extraction – then scrabble, as below. So right click and click on send to desktop (create shortcut).
7. Double click the shortcut you just made on your desktop and you will see. Click (English) if that is your language choice.
The game will load and you will see.
8. Choose new game and you will see (see picture below). Choose number of players and name them in order of who will play first. I will use three players, nick, nicky & nicholas for an example.
9. When you have named all the players, then you can click ok and the game will begin.
10. You will now see the game board, and as I chose nick as the first player, he will start.
11. His letters will show only to him/her once he clicks his name just above the red board border as below.
12. Nick takes his turn by clicking the 7 letters in front of him and then moving the mouse up to the game board. Once he is satisfied with the word and position click the position and his turn will have been played. The first word I put in is a 7 letter word, DIARCHY, and show your horizontal or vertical tiles by right clicking in a free tile space.
13. As you can see below I moved the board to the left, by dragging the grey line to the right of the red background so that the spaces for scoring were bigger, because the letters in the score pad would run into one another. The word I chose DIARCHY, I placed on the board vertically, making sure that I placed the largest letter score on a double letter score (Y) + a bonus of 50 and 40 for the word = 90.
14. The next player is passed the laptop or screen or however you are playing. They will only see their letters once that player, in my case nicky, clicks his name. The letter that nicky placed are NTLERS to form ANTLERS using the A which was already there.
15. Continue playing in the order of the players until nobody can put or make a word with his/her letters. There is a way to change some or all of your letters, all you do is click the lettersthat you do not want and then click menu at the top left, followed by pass/exchange. You will forfeit your turn and the next player will continue and play their turn anyway. I chose M,X,S and I to change and missed my turn.
16. If and when a player gets a blank which can be used for any of the 26 letters of the alphabet then click the tiles including the blank, right click the blank and choose the required letter – you don’t get any value for the blank, however if you save it until later to place all your letters then you can say its value was 50.
GOOD LUCK AND HOPE THAT YOU ENJOY THE PROGRAMME AS MUCH AS I STILL DO.
If you don’t like the post, tell me, but if you like it, then tell everyone.